Monday, October 16, 2017

SharePoint Online Search not returning all results part 2

Continuing the investigation into SharePoint Online Search not returning all results

We found that SharePoint search API has the "remove duplicates" flag turned on by default.

At first we didn't pay much attention to it, since the results we were missing were not duplicates...

However, after digging some more into it, it seems SharePoint Search was not only removing identical duplicates (meaning, the same item returned twice) but also similar duplicates - meaning items it deems are too similar to one another.

It is on by default, so you should turn it off on every request. It seems to have helped with our issues, we haven't been able to replicate this issue since we turned that off.

In query string, add:

In post, add:
{ '__metadata':{'type':'Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.REST.SearchRequest'}, 'Querytext':'sharepoint', 'TrimDuplicates'='False' }

Read more

The strange thing about it was - why did "Reindex List" button help in some cases? Perhaps there were two issues, we can not be sure.

Hope this helps!

Removing the hash from the SPFx bundle file name

Just a quick follow up on this topic Controlling SPFx bundle file name in production builds

It seems the latest drop of SPFx added a new setting that allows you to bypass the hash mechanism and prevent it from being added to your bundle file names.

I have yet to confirm this, but it seems you can add this code to you gulpfile.js:
build.copyAssets.taskConfig = { excludeHashFromFileNames: true, }

And this will stop adding the hash to the file names.

By: Franck Cornu

I will give it a try and update here if it works. See my other blog post on how to edit the file name and add the version number automatically as well.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

My Interview with Collab365

Just in case you are interested, here is my interview with Collab365.

The event will go live in 21 days, join my session on SPFx development or check out the recording after (link to be posted after the event so stay tuned)