1. If you have MOSS 2007 - All you have to do is to activate the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing" feature for your team site. Once you activate this feature, the team site will have some publising site features: a new "pages" library will be created, and all new created pages will be automatically stored in this library. In addition all pages will display the same "envelope" - including the missing quick launch on the left side of each page.
2. If you only have WSS installed - in this case you don't have the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing" feature installed. however, you can change the team site page templates, and have them display the quick launch. This is quite easy to implement, so here it goes:
- Browse the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\STS\DOCTEMP\SMARTPGS" folder on the SharePoint server.
This folder contains all templates that you see in the "New Web Part Page" wizard:
- Every page inherits the same team site's master page, and all of them override this master page's placeholder tags. This is why the quick launch is not displayed in new pages created in a team site (don't ask me why it was done like this, I don't have a clue..).
- Simply delete the "PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" content tag in the required templates and save the file/s:
Now, create a new web part page, based on the template you have just changed, and notice that the quick launch appears exactly as it is in the home page.
One last thing to remember:
Since the changes are done in the file system, these changes apply to all team sites on your SharePoint server.
KWizCom - Knowledge Worker Components