Friday, October 18, 2013

Upgraded to Win 8.1

Just upgraded my Windows 8.1 preview to the released version.

Few tips:

  1. Windows 8.1 update was not showing in windows store on my PC running 8.1 preview. This was very easy to fix by typing this into the IE address bar: “ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade” very cool, classy fix I found by marcoes here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-windows_install/windows-81-update-not-showing-up-in-windows-store/db21fb30-4dfa-4828-8024-02e310449ba9?page=3
  2. Good thing to know, what happens to apps or desktop applications after you upgrade? Well, they say it depends how you upgrade and how you installed your windows. I upgraded using the store, after installing the preview using a CD, here is what I experienced:
    1. My start menu apps were all marked and ready to be installed. They were installed the first time i clicked them.
    2. My desktop applications were all gone. Had to reinstall them (skype, visual studio, office, etc).
    3. Install kept windows.old in my C: drive
    4. As usual, any shared folders will need to be re-shared
  3. There are many new cool features and customizations to the start menu. I strongly advise you right click your task bar –> properties and play with the options there:
    image 
    Which makes my start menu now looks like this:
    image
  4. In case you didn’t hear about it, the best reason to upgrade is being able to snap multiple apps at the same time, see twitter / desktop / music split on my right screen:
     image
  5. Now, for the real reason I upgraded from 8.1 preview… it appears that MSFT did not release windows updates to the preview version so time zone changes did not update correctly which meant all meetings invites I got from Israel were offset by 1 hour… after the upgrade – it all works well so far.

No comments: