Just upgraded my Windows 8.1 preview to the released version.
- Windows 8.1 update was not showing in windows store on my PC running 8.1 preview. This was very easy to fix by typing this into the IE address bar: “ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade” very cool, classy fix I found by marcoes here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-windows_install/windows-81-update-not-showing-up-in-windows-store/db21fb30-4dfa-4828-8024-02e310449ba9?page=3
- Good thing to know, what happens to apps or desktop applications after you upgrade? Well, they say it depends how you upgrade and how you installed your windows. I upgraded using the store, after installing the preview using a CD, here is what I experienced:
- My start menu apps were all marked and ready to be installed. They were installed the first time i clicked them.
- My desktop applications were all gone. Had to reinstall them (skype, visual studio, office, etc).
- Install kept windows.old in my C: drive
- As usual, any shared folders will need to be re-shared
- There are many new cool features and customizations to the start menu. I strongly advise you right click your task bar –> properties and play with the options there:
Which makes my start menu now looks like this:
- In case you didn’t hear about it, the best reason to upgrade is being able to snap multiple apps at the same time, see twitter / desktop / music split on my right screen:
- Now, for the real reason I upgraded from 8.1 preview… it appears that MSFT did not release windows updates to the preview version so time zone changes did not update correctly which meant all meetings invites I got from Israel were offset by 1 hour… after the upgrade – it all works well so far.