Thursday, January 9, 2014

SharePoint, CCleaner and IE10 – be nice!

So, funny story…

During update of our SharePoint 2013 QA machine, as a routine before saving a template I run CCleaner to cleanup the disk after installing updates and what not.

Got a strange report from my QA: using IE10 from the server can load the site, but any menu they try to use (such as the site settings) give out this error:

clip_image002

(An error has occurred with the date fetch. Please refresh the page and try again).

So, refreshing, closing and reopening the browser, clearing cache, even resetting IE to factory settings – nothing worked!

Other browsers worked just fine, as well as IE from another machine.

Opening JS debugger pointed me to window.localStorage that caused this error, and as I didn’t want to disable it I found that clearing the browser cache is the right solution, only I didn’t do it properly…

image

Notice the first checkbox “Preserve Favorites website data” that is checked by default?

Well, the SharePoint site I was working with is set as a trusted site and my guess is that clearing the cache with this setting on skipped it.

Once I cleared this checkbox and deleted my cache everything went back to normal.

Just to be sure, I run CCleaner again – sure enough the problem immediately occurred.

Running clear cache again – fixed it immediately.

So, there you have it… good luck

No comments: