A few days ago I was doing some reading on the web and I ran across Chris O'Brien post on the ribbon:
(very good post, recommended to everyone if you want to get to know the ribbon better!)
In the first part of this post there is a sample ribbon tab with 4 buttons dependent on one another.
Meaning: clicking one button should enable or disable other buttons on the ribbon (Same tab, different groups).
This was supposed to be easy to achieve using the "EnabledScript" attribute on the CommandUIHandler associated with the buttons needed to be changed.
In my RTM machine, clicking one button did not change the status of the other buttons. After a little research I learned that other examples of enabling a button based on selected list items do work.
I then figured out that were was some update or refresh code running when selecting a list item that was not running during a click on my ribbon button.
This led me to find that in Chris's example, if I select an item after changing the flag - the buttons get enabled as they should!
These updates include:
1. Showing or hiding a contextual tab based on context
2, Enabling or Disabling buttons in the current active tab
Note, that this command does not run on buttons that are not active, but as soon as your tab will become active it will trigger the "EnabledScript" so not to worry!
Anyway, Thanks Chris for the great post, I hope this little fix here will make your ribbonizing experience even more smooth and worth while!